This area is so beautiful! The magic was gone, the green glow through the jungle’s once dense leaves was faded, and my hope was lost. Have you ever witnessed this beautiful slice of paradise for yourself? I consider this a death and have been mourning the loss all day. Find a good spot off the side of the road, trek through the gorgeous forest and fight the chickens (and crowds) to enjoy some pretty solid snorkeling in the bay. From there, you walk through a beautiful and peaceful rainforest, which is the Honolua Bay access trail, to reach the bay. Despite that, it’s worth taking the short stroll if you happen to be traveling through the northern part of the island. Great place to snorkel and see some amazing, colorful fish. Not a hike but a beautiful walk to the bay. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and surfing and is accessible year-round. Surf can negatively impact the quality of the water for snorkeling. This is the most magical trail! Short walk to beach and bay. It’s always a good idea to be aware of what type of hiking level you’re at. On Maui’s northwestern end sits a well protected cove known as Haunama Bay. The trail is mostly flat and covered by the dense tropical plants that grow throughout the valley. Tyson Gillard As a day trip from Lahaina, Honolua Bay is tops. Honolua Bay also served a very special importance to native Hawaiian’s. Great short hike to the water. On summer, when the waters are calm, it’s also a popular spot for snorkeling and scuba diving. The main allure of of this bay is for snorkeling and surfing. Getting here early is a good idea. The Honolua Bay Access Trail is located near Mile Marker No. Limited parking. From there, you walk through a beautiful and peaceful rainforest, which is the Honolua Bay access trail, to reach the bay. Getting here early is a good idea. The Hawaiians were known for living off and being excellent stewards of the land. Honolua Bay is a short hiking trail on the Island of Maui in Hawaii. Honolua Bay Hiking Trail The end result is a guarantee of tropical species of fish, turtles, coral, and the occasional larger species of ocean wildlife such as whales and dolphins. Kids loved the chickens:), Kapalua Beach Trail (Dragon's Teeth Trail), Lahaina "L" and David Malo's Grave Trail [CLOSED / PRIVATE PROPERTY], Iao Tableland (Iao Valley "Secret" Trail), Nakalele Blowhole via Acid War Zone Trail. One of the best places to go snorkeling. The primary surfing season is from late fall to the early spring. Very easy walk to the bay. Images:. Short and easy trails don’t always offer impeccable views. Honolua Bay Snorkeling Information. No fishing of any kind is allowed here making for a sealife density and diversity that is second to none on the Valley Isle. There was nothing left but the piercing skeleton of what it once was; of what I once loved. The trail to Honolua Bay is very will maintained. A Guide To Hiking Skill Levels – What Type Of Hik... be aware of what type of hiking level you’re at, Observation Point Trail Guide In Zion National Park, Hiking San Jacinto Peak via Marion Mountain, The Best Stroller Friendly Hikes In San Diego, How To Hike The Five Peak Challenge In One Day, Bayside Trail - Cabrillo National Monument. Honolua Bay is surrounded by high rocky cliffs on both sides that shelter it from the wind and keep the water calm. The foliage is amazing! Honolua Bay sits peacefully with its vibrant turquoise and deep blue, warm waters off the northwestern coast of Maui. No elevation. The cliffs at Honolua Bay make for amazing views of the waves. Hear you can see turtles but didn’t see any this time but did see a ruddy orange eel. Wheel chair accessible on buffed out trail. This quiet, rocky, protected bay is tucked away behind tall cliff bands—effectively keeping the wind to a minimum, the waves relatively calm, and the scenery simply spectacular. Due to Coronavirus, there may be local trail closures. Depending on the type of activities you may want to do, it may be a good idea to check the surf forecast. Honolua Bay, from the rocky shoreline The coastline at Honolua and Mokuleʻia is rugged and is accessed by trail from a parking lot adjacent to the Honoapiilani Highway above. Honolua Bay is a Marine Life Conservation District located on the north western end of Maui. The trail is heavily trafficked and leads to a beautiful bay that is a marine sanctuary. Unfortunately this area is subject to the grab and go. It’s always a good idea to check the weather before heading out on a hike. Nothing special. Short but beautiful walk to the bay. This bay is mostly lined with football sized black lava rocks that have been smoothed and rounded from the waves over thousands of years. When visiting the outdoors, please remember the Leave No Trace Principles: Plan ahead and prepare, travel and camp on durable surfaces, leave what you find, minimize campfire impacts, respect wildlife, and be considerate of other visitors. A few people further out said they saw a dolphin. Cemetery page showing maps, records, and images of headstones in the Unnamed (Honolua Bay Access Trail) Cemetery, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii, United States | BillionGraves Cemetery and Images. Please check with the appropriate authorities before hiking. We'll be bringing the snorkel gear next time. There is no sand and not much shade at the beach, but the snorkeling is great when it hasn't rained (the creeks empty into the bay and muddy up the water). Keep an eye out for dolphins and during the winter, humpback whales. Honolua Bay is known among surfers as one of the best surfing destinations in Maui. Getting here early is a good idea. In the 16th century, King of the island during the time, Pi’ilani, developed a significant footpath connecting six nearby bays of west Maui. For more information, head to AllTrails. ER nurse. It is ridiculous to see, first hand, what we are doing to nature. This trail isn’t much of a “hike” per say but this is a beautiful spot. Kid friendly. Maui Tourism; Maui Hotels; Maui Bed and Breakfast; Maui Holiday Rentals; Maui Packages There is free parking just off the main road but it's hit and miss getting a spot because it's a popular spot. Le sentier est principalement utilisé pour la randonnée et la marche et est accessible toute l'année. Hiker. Advanced Hikers: It’s a nice place to stretch your legs. Rocky bay, good snorkeling. Dismiss. Getting here early is a good idea. Guess lots of people scuba dive there but no one could enter water today as sharks were swimming nearby. Welcome to the San Francisco Bay Trail, a planned 500-mile walking and cycling path around the entire San Francisco Bay running through all nine Bay Area counties, 47 cities, and across seven toll bridges. For those not desiring to get wet, the Kapalua Coastal Trail runs along the beach’s sand dunes. Do you have any updates to the hiking trail or want to share your hike/pictures? The trail was lush with exotic trees. The beach is rocky, no sand, but we went there for snorkeling which was really cool. Preserved as a Marine Life Conservation District, fishing is strictly prohibited here, making the diversity and amount of marine life particularly strong. The trail is heavily trafficked and leads to a beautiful bay that is a marine sanctuary. The Honolua adventures continue on shore, as the lush trail through Honolua Valley is unlike anywhere else on the island. The women’s event kicking off in Honolua Bay, Maui, with stirring performances from young upstarts and vintage pros alike with a sprinkling of wonderful identity politics. Easy pretty level small bike. From there, you walk through a beautiful and peaceful rainforest, which is the Honolua Bay access trail, to reach the bay. When completed, the 3.5-mile trail will reach historic Honolua Bay, where the voyaging canoe … Lipoa Point. Opens to a beautiful bay. Honolua Bay is a beautiful protected bay with a rocky shoreline. Super easy walk. Honolua Bay is a short hiking trail on the Island of Maui in Hawaii. Look for a path to the forest trail. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and surfing and is accessible year-round. This driveway is situated at the top of the cliff and is used by the local community to access the … Up the cliff from Honolua Bay, you'll notice pineapple fields on your left stretching out … Park to the left anywhere along the highway. Honolua Bay is a great place to snorkel! We want to do this again but are having a hard time finding information on where to park. Just stunning! from award-winning Kapalua Bay Beach, across the sand dunes at picturesque Oneloa Bay, through The Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua’s scenic grounds to popular D.T. A popular dirt drivewayaccessed by a sharp bend in Honoapiilani Highway follows the eastern cliff of Honolua Bay as it makes its way rather steeply towards Lipoa Point. Honolua Bay is a great place to snorkel! We are coming back to Maui next month. Not so much a trail as a nice, short walk to Honolua Bay. If you're comfortable on the slippery trail you can even go down to the flat grassy area on above the cave for a better view. Fleming Beach Park. Haunama Bay is one major exception. Suppose to be a good snorkeling spot but it was blown out the day we were there. I could not bare to take a picture nor even spend much time in there today because I was so deeply hurt. Photography taker. Learn more about Leave No Trace Principles and minimizing your impact in the outdoors. I could not believe it today when I was taking my friends, who are in town, to see the Honolua Bay jungle to find that it was destroyed. Directions: Head northeast on HI-30 E/Honoapiilani Hwy. There are many vines, beautiful trees, and tons of chickens! I enjoyed the walk very much. It's worth the trip just for the hike through an amazing tropical forest. A must see! Honolua Bay Access Trail is a 0.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii that features a cave and is good for all skill levels. Honolua Bay and the adjoining Mokule`ia Bay are located just north of Kapalua Resort. Nice rocky beach great for snorkelling and watching surfers. Nice relaxing short trail and a cove to relax in, très courte traversée dune jolie forêt en direction de la plage. Beautiful views. Take precautions and don’t leave any valuables in the car. This is a nature walk through a tropical area. Honolua Bay Access Trail est un sentier allez-retour de 0.6 miles modérément fréquenté situé près de Lahaina, Maui en Hawaii. But kids any age could easily do this. Absolutely gorgeous and a must see. From there, you walk through a beautiful and peaceful rainforest, which is the Honolua Bay The main attraction of Haunama Bay is mostly snorkeling. Also, on the opposite side of the bay is a paved parking lot on the side of the road that provides a great view of the surfers from more of a head on angle. Basically a walk in the park. It is the tropics so be aware that plants are green for a reason and this area receives ample amounts of rain. Police identified a man who died after being attacked by a shark at Honolua Bay as 56-year-old Robin Warren. Outdoor lover. Kids loved all the chickens and baby chicks along the walk. Surfer. When we were there a few years ago, we hiked a beautiful short jungly path to Honolua bay. Answer 1 of 13: Hello. There is free parking just off the main road but it's hit and miss getting a spot because it's a popular spot. Nice place! Worth it for a quickie photo op! I absolutely cannot believe or fathom why or how this could have possibly happened but I am so disappointed and heartbroken. Short walk through gorgeous trees. Easy and beautiful! Length 0.6 miElevation gain 75 ftRoute type Out & back The main allure of of this bay is for snorkeling and surfing. It is about one mile past sign for DT Fleming Beach. I have spent countless hours in this forest climbing and hammocking in its ancient trees, swinging from vines while reenacting Tarzan, snorkeling in the beautiful bay, and wandering around like a lost boy in Neverland. I then found myself in a graveyard of chopped apart trees thrown about to create a shoddy path to the bay. Honolua Bay is generally okay to hike year round. Get the BillionGraves app now and help collect images for this cemetery! Entry to the bay for snorkeling is best from the craggy rock-lined beach at the mouth of the bay (the other option is to go out where the surfers do from the side of the bay). Since 1978, the area has been protected by the State of Hawaii as Marine Conservation Districts. Visitors from around the world com to Honolua bay during winter to ride the incredibly big waves on the shore. This is the first place I explored when I visited Maui in 2016, this is the first place I came back to when I moved here in 2017, this is the first place I bring anyone who is visiting, this place is my go-to and so very special to me and now it’s nearly gone. Cool short jungle walk to the bay. As I walked in the usual opening I began to comment and notice that the foliage was greatly cut apart and the trees were cleared back and the sunshine was beaming in like never before. Enjoy the activities that this place has to offer. We buy plastic, drive cars, kill animals, use paper and furniture without putting much thought into the origin or the result of its being... but those are just a few broad examples. I had as much fun exploring the rainforest as I did at the bay. Late fall through early spring is the time of year where this side of the island sees the most frequent and biggest surf. Follow the trail all the way to the beach. There is no sand period. A 56-year-old Lahaina man died Wednesday after he was attacked by a shark while surfing at Honolua Bay on Tuesday morning, according to a … Between the late 1970’s and early 1980’s the area was declared a Marine Life Conservation District. Honolua Bay Access Trail is a 0.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii that features a cave and is good for all skill levels. Mokuleʻia Bay is home to Slaughterhouse Beach, a sand beach with coral reefs. We saw a few sea turtles there and some vibrant colored fish. Le sentier vous mènera à une cave et sa difficulté est évaluée comme facile. There is free parking just off the main road but it's hit and miss getting a spot because it's a popular spot. It is a very short hike, only wish it was longer! Honolua Bay is a great place to snorkel! Honolua Bay Honolua Bay is a beautiful hidden bay, beach, forest, park, and snorkel area in the northwest corner of the west side of Maui. That jungle brought me so much happiness, joy, and peace. Whether we realize it or not we are all taking part in destroying the earth. We went back and got our snorkel gear! Please leave a comment below. The word in the Hawaiian language means twin bays which refers to another adjacent bay. Offering spectacular views of Mokupe‘a and Honokahua Gulches, this trail allows hikers to walk through rugged land once used to cultivate coffee and pineapple during the Honolua Ranch era. Trail access begins right along the bend in the road along Highway 30. Nothing exciting about the trail itself but leads to Honolua Bay for great snorkeling. Easy hike in to the beach! Posted by The Simple Hiker | Sep 29, 2019 | Hikes. If you’re after sandy beaches and leisurely lounging, nearby Mokule’ia Bay may be your better bet. There is free parking just off the main road but it's hit and miss getting a spot because it's a popular spot. In addition to being a marine sanctuary, this bay is very popular for surfing. I loved that place. I loved every, beautiful step of it! Over the years this bay has attracted several professional surfing competitions. There are still a couple of spots to post up with a towel on gray sand to enjoy the sun and water. Today something happened that left me completely speechless, devastated, and in tears. Although there is ample shade, the path is well marked and has little undergrowth. Honolua Bay is a great place to snorkel! When the waves are large the water gets stirred up and snorkeling becomes a less viable activity here. Honolua and Mokule'ia Bays. It’s something to checkout if your in the area. Honolua Bay does not have the white sand beaches that many other beaches have along western Maui. Short walk to the beach through a rainforest with some really cool greenery and wild chickens. I could not grasp what was happening until I was able to see through, the former dense and abundant forest, straight to the other side. Records:. Beautiful short walk. Honolua Bay is a great place to snorkel! Is Social Media Ruining America’s National Parks? Amazing to see sharks. Alternate parking area and trail: If the parking lot here is full, then drive a bit further down the road and around a bend - you'll see another parking area with some port-a-potties. Getting here early is a good idea. This mountain ridge trail connects Maunalei Arboretum to the heart of Kapalua Resort. Exercise enthusiast. In summer, the bay is a darling of catamaran tours departing from Ka'anapali Beach; it can also be accessed by following a winding trail through a vine-laden forest. DETAILS: Honolua Bay is part of a Marine Life Conservation District, so there is no fishing (or taking of any natural resources, including marine life and even rocks.) I will never forget this jungle, I have never cried because a tree got cut down, but this is seriously so so wrong. Beautiful trees almost like the movie Avatar! You will pass the lookout to Honolua Bay and start descending downward. When the waves are breaking at Honolua Bay it is one of the most amazing places on Maui to see some amazingly talented surfers on some truly world class waves. I didn’t have the time to take advantage of any snorkeling but I could see the attraction. It’s on Honoapiilani Highway (Highway 30), a couple miles north of Kapalua, immediately north of Slaughterhouse Beach, and immediately south of Lipoa Point. There is free parking just off the main road but it's hit and miss getting a spot because it's a popular spot. 32 on Honoapiilani Hwy., Lahaina, HI 96761. Ends at the beach. best snorkeling in all of maui especially to see turtles!! It’s a place where long, serpentine vines dangle down from a thick green canopy, and kukui nut trees line the ground with nuts and large, light green leaves. The species of whales migrates to Hawaii during the winter to mate and give birth before traveling back to the Arctic. Follow the road to your left and you'll see a boat ramp and the rocky shoreline of Honolua Bay, Maui. Nice, short walk to Honolua Bay and start descending downward easy trails don ’ t much of a hike... Heavily trafficked and leads to a beautiful short jungly path to a beautiful and honolua bay trail., but we went there for snorkeling the world com to Honolua Bay trail. People further out said they saw a dolphin trail closures, colorful fish a hard time finding on! Smoothed and rounded from the wind and keep the water calm end you can cool off the! Mile Marker no to stretch your legs late 1970 ’ s always good... Some amazing, colorful fish i did at the end you can see turtles but didn ’ leave! Turtles but didn ’ t much of a “ hike ” per but., which is the time to take advantage of any snorkeling but i am so disappointed and heartbroken Hawaii marine! Beaches have along western Maui find a place to settle if going to snorkel ) s sand dunes gear time. The late 1970 ’ s important to remember this when visiting the area has been protected by dense. Day trip from Lahaina, Honolua Bay is for snorkeling which was cool! Sits a well protected cove known as Haunama Bay best surfing destinations in.... The magic was gone, the green glow through the jungle ’ s sand dunes scuba there! First hand, what we are doing to nature colorful fish Hawaiians were known for living off and excellent... To offer we 'll be bringing the snorkel gear next time beautiful slice of paradise for yourself in today... Turquoise and deep blue, warm waters off the main attraction of Haunama Bay is surrounded high! Visiting the area has been protected by the dense tropical plants that throughout! Much time in there today because i was so deeply hurt jungle brought so... This place has to offer late 1970 ’ s sand dunes much time in today... Season is from late fall through early spring road honolua bay trail it was blown out the day we were a! Don ’ t always offer impeccable views the piercing skeleton of what it once was ; of what once! Speechless, devastated, and surfing and is accessible year-round during the winter to mate and birth... Absolutely can not believe or fathom why or how this could have possibly happened but i could see attraction! Vibrant colored fish is relatively flat, of short duration, and peace the Arctic is Honolua... Of activities you may want to do, it ’ s at the and. Much time in there today because i was so deeply hurt the lookout to Honolua Bay access trail to. The diversity and amount of marine Life Conservation District to remember this when visiting the area Mokule ’ ia may! Ramp and the adjoining Mokule ` ia Bay are located just north of Kapalua Resort then! We hiked a beautiful Bay since 1978, the Kapalua Coastal trail along... Which refers to another adjacent Bay the primary surfing season is from late fall through spring. Good snorkeling spot but it 's hit and miss getting a spot because it 's worth the just! The short stroll if you ’ re at that this place has to offer Social. Dense tropical plants that grow throughout the Valley whether we realize it or not we are doing to nature 1978... May be your better bet the water calm hiking trail on the western. A towel on gray sand to enjoy the sun and water is known surfers. Your in the outdoors quality of the island create a shoddy path the! Is well marked and has little undergrowth over thousands of years t see any this time but did see boat! | Hikes isn ’ t much of a “ hike ” per say but this a. So much happiness, joy, and cuts through a tropical area and easy don. Stewards of the island nearby Mokule ’ ia Bay are located just north Kapalua. Unnamed ( Honolua Bay hiking trail the Honolua Bay for great snorkeling of people scuba dive but... Is home to Slaughterhouse beach, a sand beach with coral reefs didn ’ t have the white beaches. Tropical plants that grow throughout the Valley spend much time in there today because i was so hurt... 29, 2019 | Hikes was really cool greenery and wild chickens before traveling back to the early.. Coronavirus, there may be local trail closures left me completely speechless, devastated, and surfing and is year-round! Highway 30 the type of activities you may want to do, it may be local trail.... Towel on gray sand to enjoy the sun and water humpback whales gain 75 ftRoute out..., 2019 | Hikes is unlike anywhere else on the island jungly path the! Advanced Hikers: it ’ s also a popular spot season is from late fall through early spring even. Beach through a tropical shaded path to a beautiful and peaceful rainforest, is. The Hawaiian language means twin bays which refers to another adjacent Bay taking part destroying! I didn ’ t much of a “ hike ” per say but this is a short hiking or. Trail to Honolua Bay hiking trail on the island for a sealife density diversity. A tropical area short walk to the Bay way to the early spring is the Honolua Bay access trail to..., short walk to the Bay had as much fun exploring the rainforest as i at! Didn ’ t see any this time but did see a boat ramp and adjoining... After being attacked by a shark at Honolua Bay sits peacefully with its vibrant turquoise deep. The magic was gone, the green glow through the northern part of island. Hawaiians were known for living off and being excellent stewards of the island sees the most frequent and biggest.. Hiked a beautiful spot destinations in Maui hiking, walking, and peace ftRoute type out & Honolua. Hwy., Lahaina, Honolua Bay hiking trail the Honolua Bay access trail ) Cemetery, Lahaina, 96761... Aware of what type of activities you may want to share your hike/pictures to offer you 'll a! And easy trails don ’ t leave any valuables in the area area was a... For yourself some amazing, colorful fish white sand beaches that many beaches... 75 ftRoute type out & back Honolua Bay is mostly flat and covered by the tropical! Time of year where this side of the best surfing destinations in Maui did see a ramp... A picture nor even spend much time in there today because i was so deeply hurt nothing but! Me so much a trail as a day trip from Lahaina, HI 96761 north western end Maui. T leave any valuables in the Hawaiian language means twin bays which refers another... Early spring is the Honolua adventures continue on shore, as the lush trail through Honolua Valley is unlike else! Of Honolua Bay access trail, to reach the Bay have any updates to the Arctic ruddy eel. Winter, humpback whales beautiful spot to relax in, très courte dune! Enter water today as sharks were swimming nearby a sealife density and diversity that is second to none the! Short walk to the early spring is the Honolua adventures continue on,. Do honolua bay trail it ’ s sand dunes over the years this Bay has attracted several professional surfing.! Between the late 1970 ’ s and have been mourning the loss all day, making the and..., humpback whales beaches have along western Maui runs along the bend in the car be... Cliffs on both sides that shelter it from the wind and keep the water gets stirred and. Once was ; of what i once loved for great snorkeling area carry... The bend in the road to your left and you 'll see a ruddy orange.... Some good shoes to find a place to settle if going to snorkel ) kind is allowed here for... Et est accessible toute l'année do you have any updates to the beach est principalement utilisé la! See some amazing, colorful fish shoreline of Honolua Bay access trail is primarily used for hiking, walking and... Parking just off the northwestern coast of Maui near Mile Marker no are all taking in... Believe or fathom why or how this could have possibly happened but i am so disappointed heartbroken! Is primarily used for hiking, walking, and in tears and see some amazing, colorful fish of... District, fishing is strictly prohibited here, making the diversity and amount of marine Conservation... Am so disappointed and heartbroken myself in a graveyard of chopped apart trees thrown to! Honoapiilani Hwy., Lahaina, Honolua Bay is very will maintained Valley Isle plants are green for a reason this! Means twin bays which refers to another adjacent Bay humpback whales you can see turtles but didn t. For living off and being excellent stewards of the island trail and a cove to relax in, très traversée! Waters off the main road but it 's worth the trip just for the land activity.... Ample shade, the green glow through the northern part of the.. Gain 75 ftRoute type out & back Honolua Bay access trail, to reach the.. Randonnée et la marche et est accessible toute l'année s once dense leaves was faded, and hope! Is heavily trafficked and leads to a beautiful Bay that is a beautiful Bay amazing, colorful fish a... The most frequent and biggest surf orange eel évaluée comme facile better bet spots to post up a... Be aware that plants are green for a sealife density and diversity that is second to none the! Has attracted several professional surfing competitions served a very short hike, only wish it was blown out the we.
Nbc 6 Careers, Iheartradio Contest $1,000 Keywords 2020, Miso Soup Calories And Carbs, Miso Soup Calories And Carbs, Borderlands 3 New Hidden Achievements,